What is the cost of being on social media? What are you giving away and what are you gaining? If FOMO is the issue, then shouldn’t we consider what it is we’re really missing out on? If every ‘yes’ to one thing is a ‘no’ to another, then what could you say ‘yes’ to if you chose to say ‘no’ to social media?
Today we are continuing Sandy’s pre-recorded conversation with author Kate Merrick for the Balanced Momcast. In this episode, Kate and Sandy talk about social media as it relates to your life as a whole.
While we tend to focus on the writing side of life here on this podcast, the truth is, it’s not just our writing life that’s affected by social media. In fact, leaving social media wouldn’t be as difficult if it was just a business tool. But it’s not- it’s our social outlet, our news source, and a form of entertainment. It’s often integrated into every aspect of our lives. In this conversation, Kate and Sandy discuss what we gain – and what we lose- by being on social media, and what Kate felt when she decided to go totally off the grid.
This is part 2 of a 3-part conversation, so if you haven’t yet listened to Episode 17, be sure and do to that first.
Kate Merrick is a speaker, author of 2 books, co-founder of the Reality family of churches, homeschooling-ish mom, and most recently co-founder of a surf/lifestyle brand for girls and women called Mijas Del Mar. She loves Jesus, surfing, dancing on the patio table, and anything delicious. She lives in Carpinteria, California with her husband of 25 years, two-ish kids, and a flock of noisy chickens.
Tune in to Hear:
- Kate describes what being off the grid looked like for the last months of her daughter’s life
- Some hard and honest questions concerning about our own social media use
- Kate and Sandy dive into the weird mom culture portrayed on Instagram and how it makes them feel
Links from the Show:
- The Four Tendencies, by Gretchen Rubin* and her Four Tendencies Quiz
- Learn more about the book that caught Sandy’s attention back in 2019, Kate’s first book: Here, Now: Unearthing Peace and Presence in an Overconnected World, by Kate Merrick*.
- Find Kate’s second book: And She Still Laughs: Defiant Joy in the Depths of Suffering, by Kate Merrick*.
- Take The Challenge! We’ll give you everything you need to prepare for a 7-day social media break and then help you make the most of it once you’ve unplugged. It’s only $7 and you can start it any time.
- Join the waitlist for Writing Off Social: The Course! Be among the first to hear when registration opens for our January 2024 Cohort.
- Download our free pdf of 27 *REAL* Ways to Grow Your Audience without Social Media
- Learn more about Writing Off Social at writingoffsocial.com or email us at email@example.com
Ways to Support This Show:
If you found this episode helpful, the best way to spread the word and help others find the show is to:
- Text this episode to a friend!
- Leave a 5-star rating and review!
- Hit ‘subscribe’ so you’ll never miss an episode!
*This is an affiliate link, meaning should you purchase something after clicking on this link, we will receive a small payment from that company- at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!