You’ve felt the negative effects of social media, but have you ever studied them? Last summer, Sandy dove deep into the topic of social media. Today, we’re sharing the books + resources she studied in that time, as well as the quotes and conversations we found particularly compelling (if not a little chilling). If you feel you need to do a little more research before you pull the plug on social media, then this episode is for you. Listen in!
Tune in to Hear:
- 5 books, 1 documentary, 1 podcast, and 1 person Sandy recommends you read/watch/ follow if you want to understand the science and technology behind social media
- Specific quotes Sandy found compelling, telling, and …downright chilling.
- Mary K + Sandy discuss each of these resources and how they influenced their decision to leave social media
Links from the Show:
- Find links to all of the books, documentaries, research, and people we discussed in this show here: Recommended Social Media Resources
- Download our free pdf of 27 *REAL* Ways to Grow Your Audience without Social Media
- Learn more about Writing Off Social at writingoffsocial.com or email us at hello@writingoffsocial
Quotes by Cal Newport that we didn’t have time to read:
“The idea that it’s valuable to maintain vast numbers of weak-tie social connections is largely an invention of the past decade or so…Humans have maintained rich and fulfilling social lives for our entire history without needing the ability to send a few bits of information each month to people we knew briefly during high school. Nothing about your life will notably diminish when you return to this steady state.” Digital Minimalism, pg 155
“The big companies want “use” to be a simple binary condition–either you engage with their foundational technology, or you’re a weirdo.” Digital Minimalism, pg 220
“If you must use these services [social media], however, and you hope to do so without ceding autonomy over your time and attention, it’s crucial to understand that this is not a casual decision. You’re instead waging a David and Goliath battle against institutions that are both impossibly rich and intent on using this wealth to stop you from winning.” Digital Minimalism, pg 221
Ways to Support This Show:
If you found this episode helpful, the best way to spread the word and help others find the show is to:
- Text this episode to a friend!
- Leave a 5-star rating and review!
- Hit ‘subscribe’ so you’ll never miss an episode!